26 September 2014

Friday Favorites: Fall Edition

Also known as the Basic Bitch Edition.

1. Pumpkin EVERYTHING. Last spring, Burlington got its very own Trader Joe's and the novelty has not worn off yet. I am on a quest to purchase every fall/pumpkin item they sell. The problem is I don't really know what to do with all of it. Pinterest to the rescue. How amazing do these pumpkin butter sticky buns look? I would leave out the cinnamon chips because I am weirdly creeped out by those things, but otherwise? YUM.

2. I hate candy corn. It is the worst. So, so disgusting. I always want to like the little mellowcreme pumpkins because they're so adorable, but I just can't. Every time I see candy corn (which is everywhere this time of year) I think of Lewis Black (skip ahead to about the 1 minute mark)...


My thoughts exactly.

3. Normally I avoid Wal*Mart like the plague. It tarnishes the faux-crunchy reputation I've worked so hard to cultivate.  In addition to the fact that they are a terrible company, it's also a downright miserable shopping experience. However...I make an exception in the fall to purchase the best candle ever:
Seriously. I think the biggest size they sell costs like $5 (eat your hearts out, NEST and Anthropologie) and it actually makes your house smell like you've had apple cider simmering on your stove all day. One time I bought that NEST pumpkin chai candle that all the bloggers rave about, and while admittedly it does come in much prettier packaging, it did not smell nearly as wonderful as my el cheapo Wally World candle. 

4. I hated the book 'Gone Girl.' HATED. To this day, it is the only thing I have ever reviewed on Amazon. I was that pissed that I spent money on it.  First half of the book? Amazing. Loved it. Couldn't read it fast enough. Second half of the book? Lifetime movie garbage. So can someone please talk me off the ledge about seeing the movie? Every time I see a trailer for it, I'm like, "Oooooh this movie looks so good!" WHAT?!? I've read the book, I know what happens, and it sucks. Is it just the magnetic draw of Ben Affleck and Tyler Perry? I don't know.


5. I really want to try the super dark lipstick trend, but am terrified of looking like a Goth chick and don't want to drop the $$$ on NARS Terre De Feu or Tom Ford Bruised Plum lipsticks that I will probably wear once and then be too chicken to ever wear again. I see a trip to the CVS cosmetics aisle in my future...

7 comments:

Jennifer @ Belclaire House said...

Oh I've missed your 'tude ;) I'm with you on candy corn. blech. But pumpkin everything gets me every year. I'm never too cool for it. Would you judge me if I order that Walmart candle online? Definitely DO the dark lipstick, but don't buy an expensive one. I have the Revlon Colorstay Ultimate Suede in Backstage (035) that I bought last year, and I used it with Rimmel Exaggerate Full Color Lip Liner in Obsession (064). You won't wear it all the time, but when you do people will love it!

Carolina Charm said...

I am laughing so hard because I LOVED Gone Girl so much and for months convinced my mom to read it. Finally, over summer she picked it up and after she finished it I think she didn't talk to me for several days. She was so pissed at me for recommending it and said she'd never read another book I suggest again. haha. You either love it or hate it for sure.

HMC said...

I'm with you on Gone Girl (I was so, so annoyed at the end)--but I totally want to see the movie. I'm hoping it's better on screen?

MCW said...

Im with you on GG...first half great, 2nd half not so much.

I may have to visit Walmart for the candle. I have been to 2 my entire life and regretted every second in both.

Meg said...

god I hate candy corn and it just about kills me every year when my husband requests that we buy it....terrible I tell you!

love that you are back to blogging...even causally!

Katiellirb said...

So glad to see you back! I personally am taking a blogging break but looking forward to catching up on yours!

Could not agree more with you on gone Girl. Agh, I HATED IT! Its as if the ending belonged in a totally different book. It became such a disappointment.

AEOT said...

You are totally inside my head with this post!! GG pissed me off to NO END. I hated, hated, hated it. No one else understands how I could feel this way, but DUDE- they are full of crazy and the ending was totally dumb. I am getting mad again as I type this!

I feel the exact same way about candy corn. The flavor isn't good, and it always leaves a film in my mouth after I have eaten one. Definitely not my fave.

Pumpkin on the other hand- yum! I have a butternut squash recipe that I made last year that is absolutely delish. Perfect for fall! http://www.pink-parsley.com/2012/12/butternut-squash-goat-cheese-stuffed.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+pink-parsley/jngg+(Pink+Parsley) if you are interested!!