26 March 2012

Menu Monday

After a two-week hiatus, Menu Monday is back in business.  Things are crazy busy at work right now, so last week was all old-standby recipes {with one new "clean out the fridge" salad recipe for good measure}.  At the end of a long day, I was too tired to make a meal that I wasn't 100% sure would be 100% yummy.  These are meals that I know will deliver time and again.

 Mango Shrimp Salad {moi}
This was an off-the-cuff salad composed of what was in the fridge.  Arugula, red pepper, mango, pistachios, cucumber, and Old Bay-steamed shrimp.  The dressing was lime juice, brown sugar, olive oil, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Very fresh and clean.

Ancho-Rubbed Flank Steak with Avocado Relish {Cooking Light May 2009}
 My adjustments: I add a little garlic powder to the rub mixture.  I use flat-iron steak instead of flank {it's cheaper, but very similar}.  After I rub the seasoning on the steak, I let it sit in the fridge for at least 15 minutes.  Same goes for the avocado relish.

Four-Cheese Roasted Vegetables and Simply Grilled Chicken {Sargento and Melissa D'Arabian}
 This meal is just so warm-weather friendly and it reminds me of my mom.  She always made these veggies for us growing up, and now I make them for my little family.  Let's face it: anything smothered in cheese is good! I don't use the full amount this recipe calls for. Two cups is a lot, even for me.  And my mom introduced me to this grilled chicken recipe last summer.  It is so simple, but SO flavorful! 

Spicy Black Bean Burgers {Eat, Live, Run}
 I'm almost embarrassed to tell you how frequently I make these burgers.  They are just so delicious and easy and good for you!  I think the key is letting them chill in the fridge for at least 15 minutes; otherwise they tend to fall apart in the pan.

Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy {Cooking Light November 2010}
For last night's Mad Men premiere, I wanted to make something a little retro.  I picked this meal out of my recipe binder.  My only edits were to use herbs de Provence instead of generic mixed herbs in the potatoes {delicious}, I just steamed peas in the bag and tossed with butter, and I found that the patties needed to cook almost double the amount of time the recipe called for.  That part was kind of annoying, but otherwise, a very satisfying meal.  I also made Old-Fashioneds.  I think Don would approve.

Bon appetit!

1 comments:

Molly at Duchess of Fork said...

I want to make everything on your menu!! The roasted veggies look so, so good. And I've really been itching to make black bean burgers. Just hoping I can get my meat-loving husband to approve. ;)