02 July 2012

Menu Monday

There was a lot of good food enjoyed this week.  All recipes get my very enthusiastic stamp of approval.

Monday night we headed to Alamo Drafthouse for dinner and a movie {BRAVE}.  The movie and the meal were both kind of BLAH, but I will never get over the novelty of being able to order beer, wine, and cocktails in the middle of a movie.  It's fabulous.

Well, mine wasn't nearly as pretty as Ina's, but this sandwich + a big bowl of fresh watermelon made for the perfect "ZOMG it's a billion degrees outside" dinner.  I was only able to eat about 2 slices of the sandwich, mainly because I had already stuffed my face with watermelon.  But I stuck the leftovers under the broiler for a quick lunch the next day and it was just as tasty.

BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad {Iowa Girl Eats}
  It was incredible.  My BBQ-sauce-loving husband couldn't get enough of it, and my skinny-jeans minded self loved that this clocked in at right around 500 calories for an extremely filling, one-dish dinner.  Just please promise me you'll make this.

Seriously good eating.  I made mahi mahi instead of halibut because our grocery store was out of halibut.  I added half of a finely diced jalapeno to the salsa because why not? And I have a major phobia of grilling fish {terrified it will stick to the grill pan}, so I just pan-sauteed the fish in a wee bit of olive oil.  The leftover salsa was excellent with tortilla chips.

Brunch!
M surprised me by coming home for the weekend {he was supposed to be away on business} so we celebrated by hosting my in-laws for brunch.  There were blueberry muffins, cheddar dill biscuits, maple-roasted bacon, bellinis, bloody Marys, and fresh fruit salad, which isn't pictured because I forgot about it until after my little photo op.  Everything was every bit as delicious as it looks.  I love brunch.

Bon appetit!

9 comments:

HMC said...

That quinoa BBQ chicken salad looks amazing! I'm definitely going to have to make that soon!

Laura {a spoonful of joy} said...

my husband would love that quiona bbq chicken salad - i'll have to try to make it for him. thanks for the idea! :)

Rachel said...

I would love to see a movie and have a beer right now....sounds like the perfect date night!

Thanks for linking up this week :)

Portuguese Prepster said...

brunch is my favorite meal..yours looks delish! I grilled fish during the Summer..it's all I eat at the beach!

Barefoot in the Park said...

oh tomatoes & mozzarella. mmmmm.

MCW said...

I need the halibut and BBQ Chicken Quinoa Salad.

The enchanted home said...

EVERY time I come here...I leave hungrier than when I arrived! Oh my lord, everything looks tooo good! I am a sucker for anything featuring a juicy ripe tomato....yum yum yum!

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

I'm delighted for you that the cinematic wonder that is the Alamo Drafthouse has made it to your 'hood. Looking forward to hearing about your "MM" adventure, speaking of.

Funny enough, I had the most delicious caprese sandwich today - it is the best summertime treat. I will happily take down Ina's recipe for same & promise to make that quinoa salad sometime as well.

Kate said...

Just bookmarked the open faced sandwich. YUMMM!