21 February 2013

On My Bookshelf

just finished


just started


on deck

I really enjoyed The Emperor of All Maladies, Quiverfull, and South of Broad.  I was SO surprised at how much I enjoyed South of Broad, because I am not a Pat Conroy fan. Don't get me wrong; there were still multiple point in the book when I wanted to shout, "TOO MANY WORDS!", but overall it was a page turner.  

The Emperor of All Maladies was a difficult read.  It's filled with a lot of data, a lot of names, and a lot of scientific research.  All of it is fascinating and I learned a great deal, but it took me awhile to digest what I had read.  That said, I feel like I have a much better understanding of cancer, its history, and its future.  Really interesting stuff.  

Quiverfull was, in a word, frightening.  I enjoyed it and it was incredibly eye-opening, but it also made me sad.  It's a book that truly makes you think about religion and forces you to examine the negative aspects of it. 

Game Change is the book that the HBO movie was based on, but the book covers a lot more than the epic disaster/SNL miracle that was Sarah Palin.  It also focuses on the relationship between the Obama and Clinton campaigns.  For a political junkie like me, this book should be a quick read.  I can't get enough of stuff like this.

Wolf Hall and The Space Between Us have both been in my Amazon shopping cart for years.  I'm ready to finally bite the bullet and read them.  

Have any of you read any of these books?  I'd be curious to hear your thoughts!  Have you read anything good lately that I should add to my ever-expanding on deck list?


7 comments:

Victoria said...

After you mentioned the quiverfull thing a few blog posts ago, I totally spent about 2 hours looking at a ton of crazy websites on the topic!

I just read Jennifer Worth's The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy and Hard Times. It's what the BBC series "Call the Midwife" is based on. It was excellent!

MCW said...

I loved South of Broad as well. Have you read The Light Between Oceans or I Am Charolette Simmons? Both fantastic...

Portuguese Prepster said...

the quiver full book sounds super interesting! The Duggars always creeped me out and I wanted to learn more!

Virginia Belle said...

I really want to read Game Change before I see the movie and based on your review I will love it. I just finished reading The Happiness Project. It was a great read and full of happiness strategies I can apply myself.

ms. mindless said...

South of Broad was just too contrived for me. Too many superfluous word, overly contrived characters. I wanted to like it. I really did.

I want to check out the Quiverfull book.

Heather Bien said...

Oh the Quiverfull book looks fascinating! Might have to check that one out!

AEOT said...

I'm currently reading Winter of the World by Ken Follett- LOVE this series (as well as the two Pilar of the Earth books). If you haven't read them and like sagas, then definitely try them.

I also really liked The Light Between Oceans. It reminds me a lot of Memory Keeper's Daughter which is a top 10 of all time book for me. If you haven't read either of them, definitely check them out. On the other hand, I hated I am Charlotte Simmons. I do not consider myself a prude at all but it was rampant with sex and drugs and just not what I wanted to spend my precious reading time on (I also hated 50 Shades so maybe I am a closet prude??)