28 August 2012

My List


At the risk of being blogger-cliche, I've come up with my own 101 in 1,001 list.  I first was inspired to do this when I read Design Darling's list.  I started working on a list, but just couldn't seem to find the motivation to finish it.  Then I read The Dirty Martini Diary's list and how Lulu was starting it on her 30th birthday, but thought maybe she should've have started the list to culminate on her 30th birthday,  and that lit a fire underneath me.  Because November 11, 2012 is 1,001 days until my 30th birthday.  Time to get cracking!

1. Find a fitness routine that works for me and stick with it.

2. Purchase personalized stationery. 

3. Buy a house.

4. Cook at least one recipe out of every cookbook I own. {Salmon with Lentils, Barefoot in Paris. White Lightning Texas Chili, Southern Living: Our Best Christmas Recipes. Potato Sourdough Starter, Southern Living 1995 Annual Recipes. Chocolate Chunk Blondies, Barefoot Contessa Foolproof. Lemon Chicken Breasts, Barefoot Contessa How Easy Is That?. Fried Zucchini Spaghetti, My Father's Daughter. Orange-Raspberry Trifle, Barefoot Contessa Family Style.}


5. Take a flower arranging class.


8. Develop a filing system for important documents, mail, magazines, etc.


9. Visit at least 3 new states.


10. Be able to better define my aesthetic, in both fashion and interior design.


11. Scrutinize the contents of my closet and donate, store, or toss all the things I never wear.


12. Throw my first Sunday brunch party.


13. Adopt another rescue dog. {Ozzie, August 2012}


14. Buy an Hermes scarf.


15. Grow vegetables and herbs at home.


16. Take a ballroom dance class.


17. Learn to make homemade bread. {Potato Sourdough Bread, March 2013}


18. Buy an Apple desktop computer.


19. Drink eight glasses of water every day for one week.


20.  Learn to speak French.


21. Ask Grandmother for her coconut cake recipe.


22. Take up yoga.


23. Send fifty handwritten notes, not including thank-you notes.


25. Sing karaoke. {VA's Bachelorette Weekend, March 2013}


26. Get some backyard chickens.


27.  Host a major holiday.


28. Get a massage.


29. Make M breakfast in bed.


30.  Go camping with M.


31.  Learn the art of canning food.


32.  Follow the 100 Days to Christmas eBook.


33. Make Julia Child’s Boef Bourguignon


34. Make an address book with contact information for family and friends.


35. Join the S***burg public library. {March 2013}


36. Visit all the D.C. monuments.


37. See the Radio City Music Hall Rockettes Christmas show.


39. Floss every day for one month.


40. Do a cleanse.


41. Purchase and learn photo editing software.


42. Take a self-defense class.


43. Buy a piece of original art.


44. Cook a meal for my mother.


45.  Visit Montpelier.


46. Put together a home management binder.


47. Find my best beauty routine.


48. Learn how to play Gin Rummy.


49.  See an opera performed live.


50. Invest in ten coffee table books. {1. Vogue Weddings, March 2013 2. Vogue Living, March 2013 3. The World in Vogue, March 2013}

51.  See a Broadway show.

52. Throw my parents a 30th anniversary party.


53. Buy a Goyard tote.


54.  Learn to make my mother-in-law’s marinara sauce.


55.  Learn to make Grandmama’s rolls.


56. Go on a trip with my sister.


57. Visit all of the S***V*** vineyards. {Three Fox Vineyard, October 2012. Glen Manor Vineyard, March 2013. Boxwood Winery, March 2013.}


58. Find a way to volunteer locally {soup kitchen, homeless shelter, SPCA, etc.}


59. Purchase a set of quality luggage.


60. Read every Jane Austen novel. 


61. Learn needlepoint.


62. Get a facial.


63.  Take a sewing class.


64. Try one totally-out-of-my-comfort-zone exercise class.


65.  Buy a pair of Ferragamo Varinas.


66.  Go to a music festival.


67. Order a wedding album.


68. Research and put together a family tree of M and me.


69. Read twenty new books.   {1. Unbroken, May 2012 2. Divergent, May 2012 3. Insurgent, June 2012 4. The Memory Keeper’s Daughter, June 2012 5. The Royals, July 2012 6. Sarah’s Key, May 2012 7. Gone Girl, October 2012 8. The Emperor of All Maladies, January 2013 9. South of Broad, February 2013 10. Game Change, February 2013 11. The Space Between Us, February 2013 12. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, March 2013 13. Major Pettigrew's Last Stand, March 2013 14. The Night Circus, March 2013}


70.  Make homemade marshmallows. {February 2013}


71.  Lose these last pesky 10-15 pounds.


72. Get in the habit of monthly self breast exams.


73. Turn off my iPhone/iPad/computer for an entire weekend.


74. Buy a nice camera and learn how to use it.


75. Throw a surprise party for a friend. {Happy Birthday, Kristi! September 2012}


76.  Spend a weekend at the Greenbrier.


77. Go tubing or kayaking on the river.


78. Find a skincare regimen that works for me.


79. Take a trip to France.


80.  Create a will.


81. Go on a spontaneous day trip.


82. See ten so-called classic films.


83. Visit Harper’s Ferry, WV.


84. Invest in a classic handbag.


85. Have a picnic. {Sky Meadows State Park, April 2013}


86. Learn how to do a perfect smokey eye.


87. Start a collection. {Spode 'Woodland' China collection started on Christmas 2012.}


88.  Put $10 in savings for every goal accomplished.


89. Visit my sister at college before she graduates.


90.  Take a food styling or cooking lesson of some sort.


91. Try five new foods.


92.  Learn to French braid.


93. Go vegetarian for a month.


94.  Buy myself a beautiful piece of jewelry.


95.  Run a marathon.


96. Pay off all debt.


97. Have a father-daughter date.


98. Go apple picking.


99. Visit 3 new cities.


100.  Attend the Preakness or the Kentucky Derby.


101. Throw a party for completing my list! {Happy 30th birthday to me!}


I started developing this list back in the spring, so one of these I can already check off the list and several others are in the works to be completed before November 11. Plus I've already started making headway on my 20 new books goal.

Are any of you following your own lists?

*You'll notice there are a couple of numbers missing; I left those off because I felt they were too personal or private to share on here. I promise I can count.

4 comments:

Portuguese Prepster said...

Loved reading this list...it's inspiring me to make one!

The enchanted home said...

I am dizzy, inspired, overwhelmed and jealous. LOL...you have a lot to do but being a "queen of lists" myself I am a firm believer in their ability to help us get done what needs to be done!! And having a stylish list on great paper absolutely helps!

Perfectly Imperfect said...

love your list. so many of these would be on mine if i would sit down and write one.. which needs to happen.

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Varinas and Austen and travel and libraries, oh my! Fantastic list, and what an inspiration. Maybe I need to do my own "35 to 35 (ahem)" old lady version of this.