24 December 2012

Christmas Eve Traditions


This is my first Christmas away from my family, and I'll admit, I'm a little misty-eyed at missing out on our family's traditions.  Growing up, every Christmas Eve was the same and I loved that.  We attend our church's Christmas Eve candlelight service and call for Chinese take-out as soon as we're in the parking lot.  As soon as we've stuffed ourselves silly with Moo Goo Gai Pan, Hot and Sour Soup, and egg rolls, we each get to open one present, usually pajamas.  When we were little, we would put on our new PJs and drive around town looking at Christmas lights.  As we got older, that turned into my sister and I parking it on the couch to watch our favorite, A Christmas Story.

I think Trish said it best: "As a matter of fact I like Christmas Eve the very best, because Christmas Day, while spectacular in so many ways, comes and goes so quickly, and Christmas Eve just has so much magical energy and excitement swirling around."

While I'm sad to be missing out on all of the excitement at my parents', I'm so excited to be a part of my husband's family Christmas and see what makes it special for them.  

Did you have any special Christmas Eve traditions growing up?  Have you started any new ones since moving out on your own, getting married, or having kids?

3 comments:

Lobster Meets Peach said...

The first Christmas that I was married to Hubby, I had mixed emotions on the way to his family but it was great! Our traditions have continued to change as our family has grown - as long as I am with loved ones I am merry:)

Merry Christmas!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Holidays Love!

www.McKennaBleu.blogspot.com

Amy said...

I'm from Roanoke as well (although I live in Richmond), so Christmas means Christmas Eve mass at St. Andrew's followed by my mother's clam chowder and ham biscuits. Christmas night means mugs of Peppermint Patty's or hot spiced cider and rum for a tour of the Star City's tackiest lights. Happy New Year!