05 March 2009

Nummy in my Tummy

First, a little food-related story to make you chuckle. The ridiculousness of this is almost overwhelming. Preppy in the City, if you or the boy see Latressa while you're in Florida, please thank her for making my week that much more entertaining!

Second, a recipe! I love, love, love to cook and sadly rarely have the time {or kitchen real estate} to do much of it. But this is one of my favorites and takes zero time. It's less of a recipe than it is instructions on how to throw a bunch of stuff together.

Belle's Favorite Salad:
Measure 1 tblsp. extra virgin olive oil {i love to abbrev but i loathe rachael ray, so i'm spelling it out} and 1 1/2 tblsp. balsamic vinegar into bottom of a tupperware container. add salt and pepper and whisk all together. next add half a container of salad greens of choice {i alternate between spinach and arugula}. then add a handful of yummy cheese {i alternate between gorgonzola and goat cheese. mama belle prefers feta. whatever blows your dress up}. next add fruit of choice. it is best with strawberries, but i also do blueberries or raspberries in the summer. when berries aren't in season, i go back and forth between pears, dried cherries/craisins, or mandarin oranges. then add half of a sliced avocado sprinkled with lemon juice. add protein {i normally buy those pre-roasted chicken strips from the deli aisle, but if i have leftover salmon, that's also really good}. sprinkle with a teensy bit of nuts {sunflower seeds are my fave}. Put lid on container, take to work, stow in fridge. When ready to eat, take it out and give it a good shake to mix it all up. Voila!

I know with all of the variations this is like 10 recipes, but that's why I love it!! I could eat some version of this every day and not get tired of it. Plus it's super healthy and really fills you up. Also, eating half a container of spinach makes me feel better about the 4 spring oreos i'll be having for dessert. teehee.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

That is a great recipe. I could just clean out the fridge every time I make that!! ;-) I especially like your dessert choice!

Lou Lou said...

I love that you used the expression "whatever blows your dress up" that just made me laugh out loud!