17 October 2011

why I will NEVER shop at Target again

OK, people, I need some advice.  {I apologize in advance for the length of this post}.  If you read my previous rant on Target, you may be wondering why I continued to business with them.  I have not purchased anything for myself from Target since that post.  However, we had some friends who recently wed and we were unable to attend their wedding.  Unfortunately, the only place they registered is Target

So last Wednesday {October 6}, I went to their Target registry, selected an item that had not been purchased, was in stock, and that I thought made a nice gift.  I received my order confirmation e-mail with the details of the order and a note saying that I would receive another e-mail when the order shipped. 

On Monday {October 10}, I realized that the charge still hadn't gone through on my credit card and that I still hadn't received an e-mail about shipment.  I thought that was a little strange since the item had shown up as in stock.  Before I could call Target, I got an e-mail on Tuesday afternoon {October 11} that said there had been an unexpected delay in my order and that the new expected ship date would be October 12.  There was a link to click for more order details.  When I clicked the link, I saw that {more than likely, through my own fault}, my old billing address was what was on the order.  Of course the charge hadn't gone through.  The card company had probably denied the charge because the information was correct.

I worked in catalog sales customer service in high school and knew from experience that it's quite easy to change a billing address.  So when the package failed to ship on October 12 as the e-mail said it would, I called Target on Thursday {October 13}, explained the situation, and asked if they could please update my billing information.  The gal on the phone for Target was not the brightest candle on the cake.  She said that my order was unable to be edited.  When I tried again to explain to her that my order would never be able to ship because the billing information was incorrect, she just said again that she couldn't edit my order.  So I asked to be transferred to a supervisor.  I was put on hold for 18 minutes.  At that point, I had been on the phone for 30 minutes and in the middle of a busy work day, that's just not going to work.  So I hung up.

I tried again first thing Friday {October 14} morning.  I got yet another person on the phone who said that she was unable to change my billing information.  When I requested to be transferred to a supervisor, she told me that her supervisors had the same system that she did and they wouldn't be able to change it.  At this point, I start to get angry.  I asked her if she was telling me that there was no one in all of Target who could update my billing information so that our friends' wedding gift would be shipped.  She said no, no one could change it.  So I asked her to please cancel the order immediately.  She said that she had cancelled the order and I would receive an e-mail confirmation stating as much.  Surprise, surprise, I never received a cancellation e-mail.

Instead, yesterday {October 16}, I received another e-mail saying there was an unexpected delay with my order and the new ship date was October 25, and that if I wanted to cancel the order, I just needed to visit the order detail page.  I clicked the link and there is no where on the order detail page where you are given the option to cancel the order.

So this morning {October 17}, I called Target for again.  I explained that I had requested this order be cancelled on Friday and that it clearly hadn't been cancelled since I received another e-mail about the order status.  I again requested that the order be cancelled.  The gal on the phone told me that the order had been "released" on their end and that at this point, it couldn't be cancelled.  So I asked if it has been released, then why haven't I been charged and why hasn't it shipped.  Her answer?  It will be another 3-5 days for packaging and processing before it ships.  OK, if it's going to be another 3-5 days, then you should be able to cancel it.  Her suggestion was that our friends can refuse delivery or return the package and I'll get a refund.  I actually laughed out loud at that point.  Really?  You're actually suggesting that I tell our friends to refuse delivery or return their own wedding gift?  That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard and I told her so.  I requested to speak to a supervisor.  She transferred me and I was on hold for 30 minutes. 

While on hold, I also submitted an e-mail request through Target.com to have my order cancelled.  I am still on hold {one hour later} and just received an e-mail response from Target.com with the same line about the order being "released" and there is nothing they can do. 

To all 2 of you who are still reading, WHAT DO I DO?!?!  I responded directly to that e-mail with basically a cut-and-paste of the above story.  This has been going on for almost 2 weeks.  My card has not been authorized or charged.  The item hasn't shipped.  I can't ever seem to speak to a supervisor because it requires being on hold for more than 60 minutes at a time and I DON'T have that kind of time.  I am at my wit's end!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

At this point, I say keep an eye on your card's statement. IF you are charged, have it reversed through your bank or credit card company. You canceled your order more than once; therefore, the charge would not have been authorized, right??

As for Target, shame on them for being so whack. I'd say go to a local store, but why bother. Clearly, there is a serious FLAW with their online ordering system.

I'm sorry you're so frustrated. This really stinks. :(

Miss Sweet Tea said...

I have heard really nothing but negative comments about Target's online system. I would make sure that you are not charged for the order and if you are, cancel through the bank. I don't know why Target can't provide decent customer service. I have really been turned off by the negative comments so I won't be shopping online from them. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I second (third?) the previous comments. Cut off the issue at the bank level. They can cancel any impending charge that hasnt gone through, esp if you show them the email correspondence.
I wouldnt be surprised if whoever you talk to at your bank has had issues with Target recently. I know i have. (very similar to you).

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Such a hassle - I've had that same "released but not shipped" problem happen with a registry order at a different store.

I'd deal with this via your credit card or bank customer service instead. Keep an eye on your statement to make sure the item doesn't pop up, but if it does, just explain to the bank/cardholder services that you tried canceling the order.

In the meantime, I'm guessing you need to get a gift to your friends; I'd get something off-registry at this point, assuming that the Target gift doesn't show. Ugh, what a pain - sorry you have to deal with this!

Anonymous said...

1. Relax
2. Place a new order with your correct information.
3. If the first order goes through after all, dispute the charge to your card (it's really easy with most banks), voilá.
4. If you still feel like you need to avenge, post a claim to the Better Business Bureau.

The above shouldn't take you more than 45 minutes to complete, total.

An alternative is to replace Step #2 with a nice card and a gift from another store, purchased in person. Resume Target boycott. This may mean more time spent on gift, but may end up being more satisfying.