12 June 2012

Gifts for Dudes

The Dude Gift Guide
I have never, ever done a gift guide on here before, mainly because so many other bloggers do them and do them much better than I would.

But.

Every gift guide I see for men makes me want to pull my hair out.  Because every gift guide for men seems to assume that you have an ultra-dapper/stylish/hipster/quirky husband/brother/father/significant other.  And I do not.  I have no men in my life {at least not the men I buy gifts for} who fall into this category.  If I bought my husband a pair of horn-rimmed glasses or a faux bois iPhone cover or a tweed blazer + plaid bow tie combo, he would look at me like I had lost my ever-loving mind.

And yet every single gift guide I see for men has these things and these things only.  Where are the gift guides for guys who like to drink Budweiser and watch football and don't really know what faux bois is? 

I give you the Dude Gift Guide.  You're welcome.

1. Orvis Golf Sweatshirt
This is what we got my father-in-law for Father's Day.  He is an avid golfer and plays year-round, so we thought this would be nice and cozy for him during his fall/winter/early spring rounds.
2. Set of Personalized Golf Balls
We got these for my father-in-law for his birthday this year; we had them made with his monogram and the year "2012" on the second line.
3. Orvis Battenkill Hanging Travel Kit
My dad and my husband both travel a lot for work.  My dad has had a Battenkill travel kit since I was in the 6th grade and it's still going strong.  I've been building M's collection of Battenkill luggage since our first Christmas together and I think this may be the next addition.
4. Suntory Yamazaki 12 yr single malt whisky
My daddy loves scotch, bourbon, and whiskey and he enjoys trying different varieties.  This Japanese scotch was recommended by Martha Stewart Living.
5. Collegiate Tervis Tumbler
We are big Tervis Tumbler fans at our house. You absolutely cannot go wrong with these.  I put one with the Maryland state flag in M's stocking this year and he loves it.
6. "A Rich Spot of Earth: Thomas Jefferson's Revolutionary Garden at Monticello"
My daddy is also a big-time gardener.  When I was at UVA, he used to love to visit Monticello and look at the gardens.  This new book from the head gardener at Monticello is right up his ally. 
7. Rare Bird Alert: Steve Martin and the Steep Canyon Rangers
One of M's favorite bands.  We've seen them live a few times and actually had this album, but he left it in a rental car.  If your man likes bluegrass and/or the incredibly multi-talented Steve Martin, you'll want to pick this up for him.  
8. Barbour Beaufort Jacket
I love mine.  Dad loves his.  I want to get one for M this year.  They really are the best.
9. Ted's Butcher Block Bacon of the Month Club
This gift is a HUGE hit in our family.  I've purchased it for my dad twice and my parents bought it for M for his birthday last year.  The product is incredible and it's such a fun novelty gift.
10. Weber 22.5-Inch One-Touch Gold Charcoal Grill
What man doesn't love to grill?  My husband is a charcoal snob and this grill is high on his list of wants.  Plus, it's the same one that my girl Ina uses; how bad can that be?
11. Tickets to see his favorite baseball team
Pretty self-explanatory. All the men in my life love sporting events of any kind.

What do you think?  Are the men in your life Dapper Dans or are they more The Dude?  What else would you add to this gift guide?

6 comments:

Sweet Southern Prep said...

Truly a great gift guide! My husband would LOVE me if I gifted him the Barbour coat you have here...maybe Cheistmas?

MCW said...

So true. The only think my dad every wants is gold balls, every few years a golf glove or an umbrella. Well, now he asks for car parts. Screw dad, I want a Barbour Coat!!!

Portuguese Prepster said...

great suggestions!

Meg said...

laughed out loud reading this and loved all of your suggestions! great job with your gift guy for dudes

Melissa @ I Pick Pretty said...

Amen, lady! Fantastic - and realistic - ideas here, pinning this immediately.

Jennifer @ Belclaire House said...

I literally just googled "dude gifts bell on heels" because I know you're the best at this and my husband came home and said, "Uh, what should I get my boss for Christmas? I need to get it by tomorrow." Nice. We're getting him bacon of the month club. The fact that it's from a restaurant in Charleston is even better because that's one of his favorite places. You are my life saver! xo